Connaught Government Hospital Surgical Mission Summary – May 2018
Saving Lives Initiatives (SLI) is making a return to Sierra Leone in May 2018 in fulfilment of our commitment to supplement medical and surgical services to the underserved populations at Connaught Hospital and the Princess Christian Maternity Hospital (PCMH) in Freetown. The schedule mission will run from May 3rd through May 14, 2018.
- Utilize the operating theatre of the Connaught for all surgeries
- Continue and implement epidural anesthesia training at PCMH.
- Triage at least 100 new medical patients.
iv. Conduct orthopedic and General surgeries of the triage patients at Connaught Hospital.
- Pain management Clinic at Connaught Hospital
- Provide all surgical equipment, drugs, and supplies for use during surgeries.
- Donate medical supplies, medicines and equipment to both Hospitals.
- Conduct continuous teaching in the OR, post op care and at patient’s bedside in the wards.
- Conduct a “Regional Anesthesia” workshop utilizing Ultrasound technology to do blocks and epidurals at PCMH
- Train local medical staffs using ultrasound to assist in making diagnosis during triaging.
- Conduct Basic life support (BLS) and ACLS training at Connaught and Police Hospital
May 3 – Depart Washington Dulles Airport for Accra, Ghana
May 4 – Depart Accra for Freetown
May 5 – Triage at Connaught Hospital
May 6 – 11; – Surgeries at Connaught Hospital, training at Police Hospital and PCMH
May 12 – R&R day in Freetown
May 13 – Depart Freetown for Accra
May 14 – Arrive at Washington Dulles
- Regional Anesthesia Lecture
- Epidural training and Workshop
- BLS/CPR training and Airway workshop,
- General/Trauma Surgeries
- Orthopedics surgeries
- Pre-and post-surgery care training
- BLS/CPR and ACLS training
- X ray C-arm training
- ICU management training
The mission volunteers will consists of doctors, Surgeons, Nurses, CRNA’s, surgical techs, first assists, and physician assistants.